January is National Soup Month! What’s better on a cold winter day than a warm bowl of soup? They can be served as an appetizer, side dish or main dish. Plus, the combination of ingredients are unlimited and it’s a great way to add more vegetables to your meals. In this blog, we’ll share how you can make the most of this delicious dish!
Tips to Fit Soup Into Your Meal Plan
Here are some great ways you can fit soup into a healthy eating plan:
- Use low sodium stock whenever possible to cut back on sodium in your diet. Experiment with flavorful herbs and spices in place of salt. Try cumin, dill, basil, ginger or hot pepper flakes to give it a bite!
- Add protein to make a well balanced meal. Consider adding chicken, lentils, beans, or ground turkey. Chop up leftover steak or other meats and add it to the soup.
- Keep the toppings on the side and use sparingly. Include fresh chopped herbs, fresh avocado or some shredded cheese. Try using a small amount of greek yogurt instead of sour cream or crumbled turkey bacon instead of regular bacon.
- Cook once, eat twice! Homemade soups can be made ahead of time and in large quantities. Consider freezing a container for a “go to” meal when you don’t have time to cook. Most soups should be eaten within three to four days, or freeze it.
- Use healthy substitutes to make soups thick and creamy. Replace heavy cream with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and low fat milk. Or use a combination of low fat greek yogurt and milk to add protein and make the broth thicker. Another option is to puree the vegetables or beans to get that same smooth texture.
Intimidated by the idea of making soup at home? Don’t be! We’ve got a few recipes that will make the process simple and painless. And bonus… they’re family friendly!
- Delicious Beef and Butternut Squash “Stoup”
- Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
- Sausage, Kale, & White Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili (not soup exactly, but still warm and tasty!)
Try one of these recipes at home. You and your family are sure to love them.
Want more healthy recipes that are portioned to help you lose weight, feel great, and achieve your fitness goals? Click here to learn about our flagship program Thrive In 35.
Stronger for Today.
The Method3 Fitness Team
Did you like this blog? Be sure to LIKE, LEAVE A COMMENT, and SHARE it on your favorite channel! Need some ideas for quick and healthy meals? Click here to snag our e-book “10 Healthy Meals in 10 Minutes or Less.”
The Method3 Fitness blog is updated weekly. All content is designed to improve the way you move, eat, and think so you can achieve your goals and live stronger for today. Check back here each week and LIKE our Fan Page, to stay up to date on the latest tips, strategies and methods to get fit, lose fat, and build confidence. Ready to get started with us? Click here for a complimentary goal strategy session!