It’s an exciting time in the body image world. While it’s always been acceptable for men to be muscular, it’s now a goal for many women! Our San Jose personal trainers consider that great progress! But there are still quite a few myths floating around about muscle, and we’re going to bust them for you today.
Muscle Building Myths Revealed
The myths we’re revealing today sit among the top in the industry.
Myth #1: Lifting makes you bulky
This is a huge concern for women… but it shouldn’t be! Here’s the truth:
- Lifting creates definition and increases your metabolism so you’re burning more even at rest.
- The only way “bulking” happens is if you 1) eat and lift specifically for it or 2) if you don’t attend to your diet at all.
Most of what we talk about with bulking is a result of adding muscle but not losing the fat on top. If you pay attention to your overall health, including your diet, this isn’t a concern.
Myth #2: If you stop exercising, your muscle will turn to fat
This is a physiological impossibility. Muscle and fat are two different tissues. One CANNOT turn into the other. That being said, here’s what does happen:
- Muscle can only be maintained with proper resistance training. If you stop exercising your muscle mass and metabolic rate will decrease.
- Because your metabolic rate has decreased, fat gain will occur.
The best thing you can do is to maintain a consistent workout routine, even after you’ve achieved your weight loss or strength goals.
Myth #3: A pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat
A pound is a pound no matter what it’s made of. However, a pound of muscle is far more dense, meaning it takes up way less space. Which is probably why:
- If you lose fat and gain muscle from working out, you may not lose any weight (but you will look and FEEL a whole lot better!). Hence…
- You shouldn’t use the scale as your only measure of progress. There are so many other ways to tell if you’re on track.
So, there you have it! 3 of the common myths about muscle – busted! Were you guilty of buying into any of these?
Stronger for Today,
The Method3 Fitness Team
If you found this blog useful, be sure to LIKE, LEAVE A COMMENT, and SHARE it on your favorite channel!
The Method3 Fitness blog is updated weekly. All content is designed to improve the way you move, eat, and think so you can achieve your goals and live stronger for today. Check back here each week and LIKE our Fan Page, to stay up to date on the latest tips, strategies and methods to get fit, lose fat, and build confidence. Ready to get started with us? Click here for a complimentary goal strategy session!