We all know that homemade treats are ALWAYS better than those store bought treats!
Here are a few ways to make those homemade treats even better. Check out these alternatives to some of the not so healthy ingredients you often cook with. They won’t change the taste-simply improve the health benefits of your cooking!
Instead of Sugar …
Swap for unsweetened applesauce in a 1:1 ratio (1 cup sugar = 1 cup applesauce). NOTE: For every 1 cup of applesauce, reduce the amount of other liquid by ¼ cup.
Or, swap ripe bananas (without brown spots) in a 1:½ ratio (1 cup sugar = ½ cup banana).
Instead of Oils & Butter…
Swap either pumpkin puree or applesauce in 1:1 ratio (½ cup oil = ½ cup pumpkin or applesauce).
Swap prune puree in a 1:1 ratio (½ cup of oil = ½ cup prune puree). This works best in dark-colored items like brownies.
Instead of Flour…
Swap wheat flour for gluten-free flour (almond, coconut, etc.) (Follow the package directions for proper ratio).
Or, try rinsed and drained canned black beans in a 1:1 ratio (1 cup flour = 1 cup black beans).
- Use cooking sprays to coat pans instead of rubbing butter or oil on them.
- Thicken soups with pureed vegetables such as potatoes and carrots or cooked risotto rice instead of adding cream.
- Barley in place of rice.
- Replace whole milk with 2% milk or 1% milk.
- Replace mayo or sour cream with Greek yogurt.
- Replace granulated sugar with vanilla extract (2T sugar = 1/2 t vanilla).
- Use unsalted butter, fresh herbs. Cinnamon and vanilla extract in place of sugar.
- Replace mayo with mustard or hummus.
I hope you found this to be useful on your journey and thank you for reading.
If you have a minute I’d LOVE for you to share your thoughts and experiences in the comment section below.
Live Stronger For Today,
Chief Motivator, Method3 Fitness
If you found this blog useful, be sure to LIKE, LEAVE A COMMENT, and SHARE it on your favorite channel!
The Method3 Fitness blog is updated weekly. All content is designed to improve the way you move, eat, and think so you can achieve your goals and live stronger for today. Check back here each week and LIKE our Fan Page, to stay up to date on the latest tips, strategies and methods to get fit, lose fat, and build confidence. Ready to get started with us? Click here to get a free week of workouts!